Using maps in websites to show the location of an office or house isn’t quiet new but recently with much advanced and efficient mapping system, including some of the large players in the field like
- google maps: http://maps.google.ca
- yahoo maps : http://maps.yahoo.com/
- msn maps : http://maps.live.com/ (by the way their bird’s eye view of the map is just awesome)
and some old players like
websites are using their features. Some of the site which i have seen efficiently use mapping for their applications are
- toronto real estate website : http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx
- an american real estate website : http://www.trulia.com/
But out of all these, google maps, have some thing extra as always.. they will help you embedd your location into your website with very less effort and alot of flexibility.
There are couple of ways of doing this, following these simple steps to begin with
- Apply for a google maps API key, which is instantly generated pertaining to one domain .
- Find the latitude and longitude of your address http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
- 3rd choose the kind of map you want
one fairly easy way is just to insert the location as an image file, so you would probably use the link that is generated and tagged within the <img> of the html.Only one marker can be used. These are called static maps API http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
Using their help document you can easily change the zoom level of the map and detailing. But all these are static, means once its set thats about it!
The 2nd format they support is more dynamic one and will require some programming know-how. The use of this is you can have multiple markers (pointers), means if you have mutliple offices in an area you can point that as well as you can have details for each of these markers. Secondly the user can scroll through the map and get much more detail of the location. A straight one hour should be good enough to get this working.